Frequently asked questions

Is Hazard Insurance the same as Homeowners Insurance?

Hazard insurance is part of a homeowners insurance policy; it’s not a separate type of insurance coverage. You need to have a certain level of hazard insurance included in your homeowners insurance policy for your mortgage loan to be approved.

Hazard insurance typically provides coverage for the structure of your home. It doesn’t offer liability coverage for injuries suffered by you or your guests as a result of an accident in your home.

Hazard insurance covers:

  • Fire damage
  • Hail
  • Lightning
  • Damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Fallen trees
  • Vehicles that run into your home
  • Explosions

Contact your insurance provider for answers to more specific questions you may have regarding the level of coverage your hazard insurance provides.

Discuss your options with a Better Cover insurance expert

More resources