Frequently asked questions

Can I adjust my homeowners insurance coverages?

Yes, to an extent.

For the dwelling itself, your limit is calculated by the insurance provider and based on the Replacement Cost Estimate of your home. If you feel that the amount is too low, it’s recommended that you request to see the RCE ordered by the insurance provider to ensure your property details are correct.

Regardless, you can still request that your insurance agent increase this amount.

You typically will not have the option to decrease your dwelling amount as the amount presented is already the minimum amount the insurance carrier is able to underwrite for.

For Other Structures (Cov B) and Personal Property (Cov C), these amounts are based on a certain percentage (depending on the carrier) of your dwelling limit. So, these can be increased, but not decreased or removed.

Finally, for Personal Liability coverage, you can increase or decrease this coverage based on your personal preference. This amount typically ranges between $100,000 to $1,000,000. We recommend speaking to a licensed insurance agent to make an informed decision about what the right liability coverage is for your unique circumstances. Regardless of who your current insurer is, Better Cover’s agents are always happy to help.