Get started
  • Sign in
  • Get started
Frequently asked questions

How do I switch my homeowners insurance policy?

You are free to switch homeowners insurance policies at any time, whether your current policy is expiring or you’re in the middle of a policy term. Switching involves a few simple steps to ensure that all relevant parties are updated.

  1. Activate your new insurance policy. Once you’ve selected the policy you want to switch to and confirmed you are eligible for coverage, go ahead and activate that policy. You’ll want the new policy to be in place before cancelling your existing policy to avoid a lapse in coverage. When choosing an effective date for the new policy, you can use the date your existing policy is going to expire if it’s coming up soon. If you are refinancing your mortgage, you may want to use the closing date of your loan. Ultimately, the new effective date is your choice.

  2. Cancel your existing insurance policy. When your new policy is in place, your existing insurance carrier will need to be notified to cancel the policy. The cancellation date should match the effective date of your new policy. You can simply call your current carrier and verbally request to cancel, or, if you prefer not to call your carrier, your new carrier/agent can assist you in cancelling. They’ll prepare a policy cancellation request form for you to sign which they’ll send to your existing carrier. If you’ve already paid for your current policy for the year you’re entitled to a pro-rated refund for any unused premium. Your existing carrier will issue this refund once they process your request to cancel the policy.

  3. Update your lender. It’s important that you let your lender or mortgage servicer know you’ve changed policies as soon as you can. No matter how you pay for your insurance, your mortgage company needs proof that you have an active policy or else they may purchase a policy for you. If you pay for your insurance through an escrow account, updating your lender also ensures that future insurance payments are sent to the correct insurance company.

If you’d like assistance with cancelling your existing policy when you switch to a Better Cover policy, just let your Insurance Expert know. They will prepare the required documents for your signature and send them to your existing insurance company on your behalf.


    Twitter logoTwitter logo
    Facebook logoFacebook logo
    Instagram logoInstagram logo
    LinkedIn LogoLinkedIn Logo

    Contact Us

    • hello@better.com
    • 415-523-8837
    • FAQ
    • Learn
    • Glossary


    • About Us
    • Media
    • Careers
    • Partner With Us
    • COVID-19 Response


    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclosures & Licensing
    • Affiliated Business
    • Browser Disclaimer

    © 2021 Better Holdco, Inc. and/or its affiliates. Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services. All rights reserved.

    Home lending products offered by Better Mortgage Corporation. Better Mortgage Corporation is a direct lender. NMLS #330511. 3 World Trade Center, 175 Greenwich Street, 59th Floor, New York, NY 10007. Loans made or arranged pursuant to a California Finance Lenders Law License. Not available in all states. Equal Housing Lender. NMLS Consumer Access

    Better Real Estate, LLC dba BRE, Better Home Services, BRE Services, LLC and Better Real Estate is a licensed real estate brokerage and maintains its corporate headquarters at 3 World Trade Center, 175 Greenwich Street, 59th Floor, New York, NY 10007. A full listing of Better Real Estate, LLC’s license numbers may be found here. Equal Housing Opportunity. All rights reserved.

    Better Settlement Services, LLC. 3 World Trade Center, 175 Greenwich Street, 59th Floor, New York, NY 10007

    Homeowners insurance policies are offered through Better Cover, LLC, a Pennsylvania Resident Producer Agency. License #881593. 3 World Trade Center, 175 Greenwich Street, 59th Floor, New York, NY 10007

    Better Mortgage Corporation, Better Real Estate, LLC, Better Settlement Services, LLC and Better Cover, LLC are separate operating subsidiaries of Better Holdco, Inc. Each company is a separate legal entity operated and managed through its own management and governance structure as required by its state of incorporation, and applicable and legal and regulatory requirements. Products not available in all states.

    The Better Home Logo is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

    Better Cover is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office