Why do I need to provide a 2-year history of self-employed income? What if I can’t?

You usually need to be self-employed for at least two years, but in rare cases 12 to 24 months may also be considered. In those cases, your most recent signed federal income tax returns must reflect the receipt of the same (or more) income in a similar field as your new business. We usually cannot use income from a brand-new business because it doesn’t meet our 2-year requirement.

Income documentation for the last 2 years gives us a more accurate assessment of your earnings. We generally take a 24-month average if your income is stable or increasing, and a 12-month average if your income has decreased, but is stabilizing.


    Β© 2020 Better Holdco, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

    Home lending products offered by Better Mortgage Corporation. Better Mortgage Corporation is a direct lender. NMLS #330511. 120 Broadway, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10271. Loans made or arranged pursuant to a California Finance Lenders Law License. Not available in all states. Equal Housing Lender. NMLS Consumer Access

    Better Real Estate, LLC is a Virginia Licensed Real Estate Firm with its principal office located at 312-F East Market St., Leesburg, VA 20176. License #0266029484. Equal Housing Opportunity

    Better Settlement Services, LLC. 175 Greenwich Street, FL 59, New York, NY 10007

    Homeowners insurance policies are offered through Better Cover, LLC, a Pennsylvania Resident Producer Agency. License #881593. 175 Greenwich Street, FL 59, New York, NY 10007

    Better Cover is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

    Better Mortgage Corporation, Better Real Estate, LLC, Better Settlement Services, LLC and Better Cover, LLC are separate operating subsidiaries of Better Holdco, Inc. Each company is a separate legal entity operated and managed through its own management and governance structure as required by its state of incorporation, and applicable and legal and regulatory requirements. Products not available in all states.

    The Better Home Logo is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office